How monkey found his swing
“How Monkey found his Swing’ is an upbeat, interactive story session. The group just made me want to dance…and play. HSQ make music look like the most fun you can possibly imagine.”
(Alison Duddle, Director of Horse and Bamboo Theatre, August 2015)
2015 – Commissioned by The Dalcroze Society and premiered at Manchester Jazz Festival
2016 – Performed Musical Picnic, Birmingham Symphony Hall & Just So festival, Cheshire
2017 – Performed at Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
• Interactive concert experience for children lead by acclaimed storyteller Ursula Holden-Gill
• Audience encouraged to respond using Dalcroze Eurythmics (expression through whole body movement)
• Bespoke warm up session develops ear-mind-body connection to enhance understanding and enjoyment
• Characters in story designed to introduce styles of jazz (from Swing to New Orleans)
• Introduces musical terms including pitch, improvisation, call and response, bass line
• Links to National Curriculum – Children develop understanding of the “interrelated dimensions” of music
• Links to National Curriculum – Children appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live music drawn down from different traditions
Performance time lasts for one hour (30 minutes warm up / 30 minutes performance)
Artists will require 30 minutes set up time.
How monkey found his swing is available in three performance packages designed to suit a range of budgets.
Package options Ensemble size Price
(+ travel expenses)
6 musicians + Storyteller
(4 x saxophones, drums, bass)
4 musicians + Storyteller
(3 x saxophones, drums)
3 musicians + Storyteller
(2 x saxophones, drums)
2 musicians + Storyteller
Although “How monkey found his swing” was created as a one off experience it could also be the first session of a four week bespoke creative project. After the initial show, children continue to work with two members of the ensemble to create their own animal poems and compose music culminating in a performance of the children’s work in school.
All members of HSQ hold current DBS clearance and have extensive experience of working in schools and music education. Price on application.